Do you QA your Python? Was: 2.1 vs. 2.2

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.com
Sat Apr 13 23:04:49 EDT 2002

"Terry Reedy" <tejarex at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Jens Baader" <nospam at nospam.com> wrote in message
>> If not what's the
>> reason that keeps the people from upgrading to 2.2?
>
> Perhaps you should ask before jumping to foolish conclusions.  Some
> (overlapping) answers based on newsgroup posts as I remember them:
[ List of alleged reasons... ]
> * ???

Just FYI, I believe you missed a couple of the largest factors why frequent
upgrades of compilers and interpreters are frowned upon in some places: the
cost of Quality Assurance (QA) testing and lack of commercial support. QA
takes time and money. It may take someone only a few minutes to download
and install the latest version of Python, but a properly run software
development shop will run QA tests on their applications when changing
something as important as a compiler or interpreter. Besides, the adage "if
it ain't broke, don't fix it" is also followed a lot, with justifiable
reasons. "Hey boss, let's move to version X+1 of this compiler/interpreter
cause it has these new features," is a tough sell anyplace that has a
budget and other higher priorities.

Another important criteria in commercial environments is what versions are
supported commercially. The "core competencies" of many businesses is in
the specific applications they write, not compiler or interepter
development. And open source can't change that limitation. Business people
believe in contractual obligations and monetary incentives as their
insurance that support will be there when they need it.