Booleans, integer division, backwards compatibility; where is Python going?

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Apr 6 12:48:02 EST 2002

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:48:06 -0800, Geoff Gerrietts <geoff at gerrietts.net> wrote:

>The second is that I personally find little to admire in C++, but one
>of the things I do admire is that Bjarne decided to take a couple
>years off to let the compiler writers and application programmers
>catch up. The result was a language that everyone more or less thought
>they knew, a solid foundation for people to build on and move forward.

Indeed so. Stroustrup has been concerned not to break backwards
compatibility with changes. This is probably one of the reasons C++
is as popular as it is.

>I remember in the early days of Java, when 1.0 went to 1.1 and
>everything broke, all the developers I was learning from expressed
>disgust. That was the first big indicator that the Java's promise had
>crossed fingers to some. To others it was a sign that Java was an
>immature language.

It was immature.

--
<"><"><"> Philip Hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> <"><"><">
"I would guess that he really believes whatever is politically