[OT] What is Open Source? (was Re: ANN: Twisted 0.16.0...)

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at mars.localdomain
Mon Apr 15 03:47:24 EDT 2002

Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

>You have misunderstood from the beginning.

Well, what you wrote does not help in any way to clarify the situation,
except to make it clear that you have a big issue with GPL.

>    Huaiyu> So now my mental picture is
>
>    Huaiyu>    (copyleft) is subset of (free) is subset of (open source)
>
>The second is not a proper inclusion.

That's interesting.  In your other follow up to my post, you said

>    Huaiyu> Using two terms to mean the same concept when we do have
>    Huaiyu> two distinct concepts to name leaves us one term short.
>
>But we only have one concept.  What we have two of is _movements_.

How come they are not equal if they are also the same?

<rant>
I'm interested in what people mean when they say "free software" or "open
source software".  I might also be interested in hearing the justification
given for different preferences, but not before the speaker makes clear what
he means by these terms.

If you know that there are at least two movements that do not even agree
on the usage of terms, it is somewhat pointless in starting a sales pitch
without identifying which movement you are pitching for and how its terms
differ from the others.
</rant>

Huaiyu