IDLE Errors

nodz nodzie at net2000.com.au
Wed Apr 17 05:26:18 EDT 2002

I am currently using SuSE distribution of Linux (v6.2).  It comes
bundled with python 1.5.2 which I believe should come with IDLE v0.1.
Howerver, no matter what I seem to do I cannot configure idle to run.

I thought that I would therefore download the latest version of Python
(v2.2.1).  I downloaded this to my home directory user at localhost.  I
then tar -zxvf Python-2.2.1.tgz.  This creates the directory
Python-2.2.1.  I then changed to su root and did the following
./configure, make clean, make install as instructed in the README file.
Once completed, I changed back from su to user and changed to the
Python-2.2.1/Tools/idle subdirectory.  I then type idle to run the
executable file.  I get the following error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./idle", line 5, in ?
    from idlellib import IdleConf
ImportError: No module named idlelib

Can anyone advise me of what I'm doing wrong and how to correct the
problem?
If I have installed the program incorrectly, can anyone tell me how to
remove the package?

Chris

PS  I also have another problem.  If I run python from the root
directory the version that runs is the 1.5.2, whereas if I run it from
the user at localhost home directory the version of python that runs is
2.2.1.  How do I correct this problem, can I remove 1.5.2 and then set
up the computer so that only the 2.2.1 version is envoked?