PEP 285: Adding a bool type

John Baxter jwbaxter at spamcop.net
Mon Apr 8 16:21:30 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1018205719.28293.python-list at python.org>,
 Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote:

> In the case of PEP 285, Guido asked for community advice on 8 specific
> issues, one of which was "Should this PEP be accepted?".  He didn't find the
> contra arguments to that one persuasive.

I see two fallacies repeated regularly, in computer contexts and
othewise; in Usenet and in other venues (eg Newspaper letters columns).

1.  "They" didn't do it the way I would have done it; therefore it was
done incorrectly.
  I fell into that one myself in the integer division
"discussion"...what I finally took away from that--after making far too
much noise--was learning that indeed dynamic typing means some ideas
which are perfectly reasonable in a static typed environment (eg int /
int --> int) aren't reasonable in the presence of dynamic typing
(continuing the example...because the output varies "too much" depending
on the input).

2.  I made a wonderously-beautiful suggestion, and they didn't
gratefully pick it up and use it, therefore I was ignored.
  Well, *possibly* I was ignored.  Possibly--more likely--my suggestion
didn't stand up to close inspection (eg, in the political arena,
specialized to the US, there is a Federal regulation which clearly
prevents doing what I suggested).  And of course, possibly my suggestion
was the best idea and "they" liked it but it didn't fit some larger
agenda (in the political arena, again, perhaps it conflicted with
rewarding friends and being re-elected).

With regard to PEP 285...I thought "oh well, a Boolean type will be
added...Guido will do it such that it doesn't hurt me enough to worry
about...it might even help sometime."  Given that, I read some of
Guido's postings and samples of others, and concluded that indeed I
didn't need to worry about it.