GUI programming

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 1 12:08:00 EST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 04:09:12 +0200
Gerhard Häring wrote:

> * Dale Strickland-Clark <dale at riverhall.NOTHANKS.co.uk> [2002-03-31 12:31
+0100]:
> > "Charl P. Botha" <cpbotha at i_triple_e.org> wrote:
> >
> > >With wxPython, one has to get, configure and build wxWindows first
(and this
> > >does take quite a while).
> >
> > Nonsense.
> >
> > 1. Download
> > 2. Run Setup
> > 3. Use it.
> >
> > The whole operation takes less than 5 minutes.
> >
> > Well - it does on Windows, anyway.
>
> Obviously you've never installed glib, gtk, wxGTK then wxPython all in
> /usr/local on a Unix system. Not speaking all the dependencies if
wxPython if
> you really want to run all of the demos. This can easily take hours.
>
> If you're lucky, however, your distribution already provides all the
required
> packages in an easy-to-use package. But from the ones I know, only
FreeBSD has
> the most current wxPython and wxGTK versions in the ports tree. Even
Debian
> sid, which is quite bleeding edge, still had wxPython 2.2.7 last time I
checked
> (a few days ago).

wxPython is remarkably easy to install on both Windows and RPM-based Linux
systems.  I haven't tried it on anything else, but I doubt even a
tarball-based install would be very difficult.

Building from CVS would be more difficult, but that's rarely necessary.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)