Can I print from Python?

Jacob Hallen jacob at boris.cd.chalmers.se.cd.chalmers.se
Thu Apr 11 11:23:06 EDT 2002

The really useful thing would be to have a platform independent way of
invoking a print job. Here are some ideas for how to do it:

1. Assume Acrobat reader available.

2. Use the Reportlab tools or some other way of generating pdf.

3. Have a pythonlib function that handles the platform specific invocation,
   causing Acrobat Reader to print the document.

Under Unix, you could have a number of fallback options, like xpdf and
pdf2ps.
How to handle this on a PC or a Mac is way beyond my level of knowledge.

I'd be willing to work on the Unix side of such a library. Any takers for
Mac and PC?

There are of course alternatives that do not involve generating PDF, but
from what I understand, they will be way more complex.

Jacob Hallén