GUI programming

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 1 14:29:07 EST 2002

wrote:

> > wxPython is remarkably easy to install on both Windows and RPM-based
Linux
> > systems.  I haven't tried it on anything else, but I doubt even a
> > tarball-based install would be very difficult.
> >
> > Building from CVS would be more difficult, but that's rarely necessary.
>
> Try getting a running wxPython installation on SGI Irix or SUN Solaris
for
> instance.
>
> Secondly, why would building from CVS be more difficult than building
from
> tarballs?  The tarballs also contain oodles of source that have to be
> configured, built and installed.  If you haven't actually done this, you
> should give it a try before actually commenting. :)

I qualified my statements in what seemed a fairly clear manner, so I'm not
sure what your point is, except maybe to vent about your bad experience on
legacy platforms ;)

Building from CVS would most likely (although not certainly) be more
difficult since the tarballs represent a _release_ and have at least been
tested on something besides Robin Dunn's PC, whereas the CVS represents
what Robin was doing last night and so may introduce bugs and/or
incompatibilities on a particular platform.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)