Third Draft: Pep for Deprecating Builtins

James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Tue Apr 30 14:04:42 EDT 2002

Steve Holden wrote:

> "Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" ?shalehperry at attbi.com? wrote in message
> news:mailman.1020108957.30689.python-list at python.org...
> [ ... ]
> ?
> ? The problem is compounded when you are not in control of the python on the
> ? system.  Imaging CGIs broken when the person's ISP decides to upgrade
> their
> ? machines to a new OS rev which has a new python.
> ?
>
> Thankfully, for the most part that's precisely what you have to do ...
> imagine them.

I think Sean makes a valid point and you're wrong to suggest the problem is
imaginary.

I happen to be developing an e-commerce CGI in Python on a machine where I don't
control the Python installation.  Who knows when some other customer will ask
the (somewhat clueless) IP to upgrade in a way that breaks my CGI?  I guess I
will have to go the extra lengths to protect myself but what a pain in the ass.

Regards

--jb

--
James J. Besemer  503-280-0838 voice