What has PEP 285 done to us?

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Wed Apr 10 08:42:29 EDT 2002

I agree with you that we are seeing things in terms of aesthetics, and
it appears we share a sense of its value, even though we may differ
in the details. But in the last article I switched context without
leaving a sign-post, a common failing of mine for which I apologise.
I used your message to launch an appeal to everybody.  That unfairly
focused attention on you, which was an unforseen consequence.  So I
was negligent.  I will try to do better.

Once more with feeling ---
Everybody who casts what happened as a 'struggle between GvR and
myself' rather than a flawed bit of failed communication is either
misunderstanding, or coopting me for their own purposes.  I don't
take kindly to being used like that, people.

re: what is in nature vs what is in perception -- see David Pye
The Nature and Aesthetics of Design -- especially Chapter 11
(function and fiction) and  the latter part of Chapter 13 (the
aesthetics of design) and all of chapter 14 (perception and
looking).

I can't discuss aesthetics here now.  I am not sure that an newsgroup
is ever an appropriate place for such discussions, but this one
right now is not.   Maybe in 6 months or so.  No promises.

Laura Creighton