wxPython / Your Experiences in large project ???

Philip Swartzleonard starx at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 9 02:49:36 EDT 2002

Peter Hansen || Mon 08 Apr 2002 09:57:54p:

> Chris Spencer wrote:
>>
>> 4.  Did I mention that the documentation is both incomplete and
>> odious?  I should not have to constantly do a "find in files" to find
>> out what parameters a damned method call takes because the way
>> wxPython implemented a method is different than the wxWindows way and
>> someone forgot to make a note of it in the rubbish passed off as a
>> "manual".
>
> Although I share your pain, I don't complain much about it since I'm
> well aware of the effort required to put together something like this
> and maintain it, and I don't believe the authors would appreciate
> my condemnation as much as they would my assistance.
>
> Maybe you could contribute some of what you learned back to the
> project and offer to help improve the documentation?

Hm. We have the wxpython wiki thing*, a user-updated website. Perhaps we
could use this. We could translate the wx documentation to something
like this, and let people make comments about what they need and what
they don't understand and what isn't explained properly and what's left
out while they work with the documentation that we already have.
Something to make contributing an ongoing and natural and imediate
process.

The only exapmle I've seen like this so far is the PHP refrence... much
useful information is contained in the comments on each page.

*http://wiki.wxpython.org/

--
Philip Sw "Starweaver" [rasx] :: www.rubydragon.com