Java to Python translation

Ira Baxter idbaxter at semdesigns.com
Sat Apr 13 19:43:37 EDT 2002

Courageous <jkraska at san.rr.com> wrote in message news:<lmvpauoae9pgdr359v7h1g4hmrcl9rv0g3 at 4ax.com>...
> >Did you compare it with JavaCC or SableCC ? I really would like to read your
> >comments about that. Any link to an article comparing compiler-compilers is
> >welcome as well.
>
> IIRC, both JavaCC and SableCC are LALR(k) compiler technologies.
> ANTLR is LALL(k) with predication; likewise, it is an _integrated
> suite_ of tools, for lexing, parsing, treewalking, and AST generation.
> It also contains special facilities for translation.
>
> As far as I can tell, there simply isn't anything out there like
> it.
>
> C//

You might be very interested in the DMS Software Reengineering Toolkit,
then.  It provides a UNICODE-capable lexer,
context-free parsing engine, automatic tree building,
conditional source-to-source rewrites, source-fragment tree generation,
attribute evalution, symbol-table support, and, of course,
a procedural API for walking/modifying trees if you absolutely
must.    Yes, all these pieces are nicely integrated.
See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html.

However, this is a commercial tool.   For free, I'll agree,
ANTLR is hard to beat.