Science And Math Was: Python's Lisp heritage

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Mon Apr 22 12:53:00 EDT 2002

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters wrote:

> |> mathematics, including the study of algorithms, is a natural science.
>
> Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote previously:
> |I disagree strongly...  All of mathematics is a formal construct of the
> |human mind created with the intent of removing ambiguity and enhancing
> |our ability to describe what we *think* and what we *observe*.
>
> To my mind, Daneliuk present here the strongest argument that
> mathematics (and therefore CS) *IS* indeed a science.

How do you observe infinity in mathematics?: n+1,n+2,...

> Alex may disagree with me here, but I think my opinion here is quite
> close to the middle Wittgenstein, or the _Philosohy of Mathematics_ and
> the _Blue and Brown Books_.  It is also very close to some of Godel's
> remarks, in his philosophical moods.

Wittgenstein dissmised the pure behavior of mathematicians: proof n, do
not rest and proof n+1, do not rest and proof n+2,...
Wittgenstein and Goedel met in the so called "Wiener Kreis" (an exquiste
circle --on a regular basis-- for intellectuals in Vienna/Austria).

Goedel had direct influence (via v. Neumann) into: I dare to say
computer science, instead I write "computer engineering".

S. Gonzi