A faster Python?, Python compiler, Dylan,...

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Apr 8 21:00:40 EDT 2002

Jan Kybic <kybic at ieee.org>:

> Once [Pyrex] compiles a little more of Python (notably classes), ideally
> any valid Python code, it should definitely become a tool of choice
> for people wanting to speed up their Python code.

I'm not sure that Pyrex will ever compile *all* valid Python
code. It probably wouldn't be very effective at speeding up
pure Python code anyway. The reason it deals with Python code
at all is so that you can write code to convert between
Python and C data structures -- the fact that you can
compile pure Python with it is sort of a side effect.

Given that, I'm not particularly motivated to put in large
amounts of effort to support features which would
be difficult to translate into C and which don't have
clear utility for writing conversion code. Generators
and nested scopes come to mind.

I might tackle these one day if there's enough demand,
but they're a long way off.