calendar.py doesn't use lists???

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Apr 22 18:34:37 EDT 2002

    Aaron> Hi guys.  I got an irksome problem.  It's possible that it's
    Aaron> fixed in python 2.2.1, but even if it is, it irks me.

Aaron,

In 2.2 month_abbr, month_name, day_abbr and day_name were changed to become
instances that computed their values on-the-fly instead of static lists.
This allowed them to be locale-sensitive.  It's possible the problem you
tripped over has been fixed.  The initial version that moved away from
static instances was pretty brutal on the strftime() C library function.
It's quite possible that's what your crash is from.  In 2.2.1 Tim Peters
implemented several changes that were meant to address the problem.  Please
download the latest version from

    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/python/python/dist/src/Lib/calendar.py?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/x-python

and give it a try.  If it still fails, please file a bug report with SF.

    Aaron> Seriously, why did you need to change these sequences from lists
    Aaron> where they worked with my code, to somethingsimilartolists that
    Aaron> broke my code?

It was strictly an internationalization issue.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)