KDE+GNOME Bindings in SuSE 7.3

Jim jbublitzNO at SPAMnwinternet.com
Mon Apr 29 10:00:38 EDT 2002

Alex Martelli wrote:
> <posted & mailed>

> Jim wrote:

>>to have sip and PyQt installed, but I assume you do, since PyKDE2 won't
>>build and install without them. Make sure, however, that they all match
>>in version (latest is sip3.1, PyQt3.1, PyKDE2-3.1 - the 3.1 is the *sip*
>>version *not* the KDE version).

> Having KDE 2.2.2, Qt 3.0.3, PyQt 3.1, and Python 2.2.1, I'd like to take
> PyKDE for a spin, but can't figure out what to download from where, and/or
> how to configure it properly.  All my attempts so far (admittedly I haven't
> given it much focuses attention) end up with something like:

> checking for Qt version >= 230 and < 233... configure: error: "incompatible
> Qt version"

> and indeed I don't have such an old Qt (and can't/won't downgrade).  Is
> there a way to do what I'm looking for -- try some PyKDE on an installation
> with all the "latest stable releases" of the various other tools, as
> listed -- or do I just have to wait for a stable KDE 3 or whatever...?

Ack! I screwed up! It should be sip 3.0, PyQt3.0 and PyKDE2-3.0.
Either way, I don't think KDE2.x.x will work with Qt3.0 (at
least not wrt to PyKDE2 - there are some class changes in the
QTable area), so you'll need to wait for sip 3.2, PyQt 3.2
(available shortly) and PyKDE2-3.2 (available shortly after the
previous two).

PyKDE2 won't work with sip 3.1 - the distributed tarballs are
generated with sip 3.0 and are not compatible with 3.1, and
some other changes (most notably threading) make it more
reasonable just to jump over 3.1 to 3.2 . The versioning is
getting awfully confusing so here's a recap:

   PyKDE2-3.0-x (where x is a KDE version from 2.1.1 to 3.0beta2
   inclusive) needs sip 3.0 and PyQt3.0. All are available on the
   PyKDE download page at http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk.
   The 3.0beta2 version will *not* work with KDE3.0 final.

   PyKDE2-3.2 (single tarball supports all KDE versions from 2.1.1 to
   3.0 final release) needs sip 3.2 and PyQt3.2 and all should be
   available in the next week or two.

Jim