installation probs on SGI: _socket package removed.

ophir ophirb at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 16 05:50:13 EDT 2002

offer at sgi.com (Nhi Vanye) wrote in message news:<a9fghs$rfu3t$1 at fido.engr.sgi.com>...
> $ from ophirb at hotmail.com -#194894 | sed "1,$s/^/> /"
> >

> >When building python on SGI IRIX646 I've notice that although the
> >_socket library compiled and linked ok, the 'make' process failed to
> >import _socket and removed it.
> >Following the advice I found here at the newsgroup I attempted to
> >manually compile and link _socket.so, then tried importing it from
> >python.
> >The results: An exception was thrown saying the symbol __eprintf was
> >not defined in the shared object.
> >Has anyone encountered this problem and have any help on this?
> >What library is the symbol __eprintf defined in?
>
> Is this the SGI Freeware distribution or are you building from scratch ?
>
> richard.

I'm building from scratch, I couldn't find a pre-built version, could
you point me to one?.
Anyway, I managed to compile and link manually by adding -lgcc and
adding the relevant -L... (apparently the up-to-date libgcc in our
system was installed outside /usr/local/lib...).  Any better way to do
this (have the 'make' work somehow)?  I've noticed that many people
reported problems related to the _socket being removed at build time
(often without the installer noticing, so the problem was found only
when trying to use a package the imports _socket).  It seems to me the
procedure I had to go through to discover the source of the problem
and fix it is a bit too complex...
Thanks.