Strange, but interesting recursion problem in PythonWin.

F.Baart at sfk.nl F.Baart at sfk.nl
Thu Apr 11 10:51:43 EDT 2002

I noticed something strange in the PythonWin

I have the following code:
def countdown(n):
 if n==0: print 'ready'
 else: countdown(n-1)

I have a maximumrecursionlimit of 1000.
When I run the countdown function with n=985 it works.
When I run the countdown function with n=987 it raises a maxrecursionlimit
error (which you would only expect at n>=999)
But when I run the countdown function with n=986 pythonwin crashes.

Remarkable is that when I run the countdown function in a dos shell it runs
up to n=999 and never crashes.

I was wondering why pythonwin crashes with n=986, does anybody have any
ideas?

Many thanks,

Fedor

PythonWin 2.2 (#28, Dec 21 2001, 12:21:22) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32.