Python Webpages

Gerhard Häring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Sun Apr 28 15:56:08 EDT 2002

* Magnus <nixx at telia.com> [2002-04-28 18:59 +0000]:
> [WebWare]
> Another powerful (not yet final though) module is Middlekit which e.g. makes
> it easy to deploy a servlet that acts with some glueware to e.g. MySQL.

The more I think about it, the less I get the point of object-relational
mappers like MiddleKit. Especially the ones that require you to rebuild
the database schema every time you change the object schema. AFAIC
MiddleKit falls into this category.

I think I'd prefer going either straight SQL with a dictionary mapper
(pyPgSQL's PgResultSet has such a thing built in [1]) or using an object
database like ZODB.

[1] in pyPgSQL, you can say, for example:
cursor.execute("select id, name from test")
print cursor.id, cursor.name
print cursor['id'], cursor['name']
print cursor[0], cursor[1]

All forms are equivalent, but only the last one is DB-API2 compliant.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930