compiling Python with readline

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Tue Apr 2 14:25:02 EST 2002

Quoting Erik Price (pricee at hhbrown.com):
> Hello,
>
> Sorry to trouble if this is not the right list -- I would like to
> re-compile my Python 2.2 source (on Mac OS X 10.1.3) to support readline
> (or whatever it takes to get emacs-style key bindings to work in the
> interpreter, like I get in bash).
>
> I was reading the README file in the source tree, and discovered that
> there is no longer a --with-readline ./configure parameter.  The
> instructions say "This option is no longer supported.  To use GNU
> readline, enable module 'readline' in the Modules/Setup file."  I don't
> seem to have the Modules/Setup file anywhere in my source tree.

The Modules/Setup file is automatically created from (I believe)
Modules/Setup.dist, but will not be overwritten if it exists.

In other words, if you need to use a nondefault Setup file, cd into
Modules, cp Setup.dist to Setup, and edit Setup.

When I built 2.2, the configure process automatically discovered
the existence of readline and built the interpreter properly. If you
haven't tried that, you might consider trying it. If it doesn't work,
you may have some configuration problems with the readline library (or
you may not, but it's possible).

Best of luck (if you need more help, feel free to ask).

Thanks,
--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts             "That's it! I've had it with your sassy mouth!
<geoff at gerrietts net>     I didn't want to do this! (Well, actually,