sharp sl5000

Fred Pacquier fredp at mygale.org.nospam
Mon Apr 8 03:38:20 EDT 2002

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> said :

> Funny -- the developer edition WAS already for sale in UK & Ireland...
> which are part of Europe, of course.

Probably very different marketing dept. :-)

> I was hoping to order one in UK or Ireland (no customs within the
> EU...).

True, although the price markup in europe is usually so bad that you end up
paying the same, or more. The cheapest solution is when you know someone
who is taking a trip to the US, and willing to buy/bring back one for you
(especially for small stuff like that). The problem then will be with
guarantee & repairs -- this is what I meant by "taking chances"...

> I go out of my way to get US-standard keyboards wherever I possibly
> can (and use 'US-international' to enter national characters when the
> OS supports that -- Windows and Linux do).  I never grew used to
> Italian layouts (nor French ones, Swedish ones, etc)...

For coding (as such a neat machine inevitably is for :-) that would not be
a problem. But for day-to-day note-taking and data entry, I still prefer a
frenchy keyboard with easily accessible accents & stuff. I'm not sure they
can manage such a layout with the tiny keyboard on the Zaurus, however, so
the point may be moot :)

--
YAFAP : http://www.multimania.com/fredp/