Problem Calling Python callbacks from C

Tim Egbert tegbert at abl.med.utah.edu
Tue Apr 2 12:50:24 EST 2002

I'm able to call a Python callback _function_ from C code by following the
information in "Extending and Embedding the Python Interpreter," section
1.6, but I can't get the callback to work if I'm calling a Python object
_method_.  Does anyone know how to do that?

In other words, it works if I'm using a Python function such as:

    def callback_func(i):
        print i

and I set "callback_func" as the callback but not if the callback is an
object method such as:

    class callbackClass:
        def callback_method(self,i):
            print i
    cbc=callbackClass()

and I set the callback as "cbc.callback_method".

I'm using the "PyEval_CallObject(callback,arglist)" function in my C code
to make the callback.  I assume the problem has to do with not having the
"self" argument available in the arglist for the callback method, but I
haven't been able to find any documentation on how to provide "self" or
what Python function to use for calling an object method.

Tim