Embedding Python with C++

Chris Stoy cstoy at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 9 00:18:46 EDT 2002

Hey all,

I'm looking to embed Python as a scripting language in a game I am working
on.  I want to be able to call C++ methods from Python, and call Python from
C++ (for the usual code quick in Python, convert to C++ for speed later.)

I've looked into using the Boost.Python code and I'm fine with that.

My problem is, I have no clue how to compile Python into a static linked
library for Windows.  Actually, I need it to be cross-platform, which is
another issue.

I've never embedded Python before, and I'm fairly new to Python, so can
someone please give me a pointer to how to do this?  What are the files I
need to compile to build the static lib (using MS Visual Studio 6.0?) Also,
I don't need all of the standard Python components (like networking.)  Can
those be removed from the lib?

Thanks.

Chris.