Comment on draft PEP for deprecating six builtins

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Apr 29 04:28:42 EDT 2002

Delaney, Timothy wrote:
> I also personally don't think lamdas should be removed. However, if a
> lambda exceeds a (BDFL-pronounced) number of opcodes it should be a syntax
> error <0.5 wink>. This should reduce most lambdas to one or two
> expressions.

All lambdas are alredy "reduced" to exactly one expression.  Somehow
constraining that expression to be "simple" is a laudable goal, but -- I
dunno: it seems to me that putting further constraints, and moreover
ones hard to verify precisely for a programmer who wants to be thinking
about Python source code, not about bytecodes that come out, is hardly
the way of solving lambda's woes.

Alex