binding a reference to a variable

Greg Weeks weeks at vitus.scs.agilent.com
Wed Apr 10 08:22:59 EDT 2002

Andrew Koenig (ark at research.att.com) wrote:
: My motivation is to be able to write something that is analogous
: to call-by-reference in C++.

*Not* having call-by-reference means that you can read code without
wondering whether a particular function call is or is not by reference.  I
consider this a blessing, and I'd like to think that the developers of
Lisp, C, Java, and Python feel the same way.

Of course, that isn't going to make *you* feel any differently.  I just
wanted to point out the existence of the attitude where your failure to
achieve what you want is considered a success of the language.

Regards (to all to whom I've been grumpy lately),
Greg