Assistance sought with mondo numerical app

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 16 12:51:19 EDT 2002

"D. Michael McFarland" wrote:
> The bottlenecks now seem to be in
> memory management, which I'm sure Python does better than I would in
> C,

better than me too, I'm sure, but NumPy code often ends up making a lot
more copies of data that similar C code would, so that might very well
get better in C too.

> and numerical linear algebra, which I'm sure Numeric does better
> than I would.

Are you using a ggod native BLAS? that can make a differnce too.

> For now, though, the safest
> route seems to be to throw CPU time at the existing code.

I understand, and I may be able to offer a few cycles. Send me a private email.

> But first this guy needs to
> graduate, for which he needs to crunch a _lot_ of numbers.  He's
> swamped with related work, and I feel like I got him into this...

Where would he be if he had tried to write all his code in Fortran or C??

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov