Python's Lisp heritage

Nils Kassube nika at kassube.de
Fri Apr 26 16:00:19 EDT 2002

Paul Foley <see at below> writes:

> In any case, parentheses are not used around sub-expressions, or to
> separate or group statements.  They're only used (in evaluated
> contexts) for "function" calls, and most other languages, including
> Python, use parentheses for that purpose, too:
>
>  Python: foo(x)
>  Lisp: (foo x)
>
> Same number of parentheses, right?  I'd expect Lisp syntax to be

Python: a+b/c
Lisp: (+ a (/ b c))

Please, I really do like Common Lisp, but it doesn't help to offer
wrong arguments in favor of it. The big advantage of the s-expression
syntax used by CL is that it's very easy to parse the language.  So
you're encouraged to write macros and build your own sub-language on
top of it.