Off topic C question

Werner Schiendl ws-news at gmx.at
Thu Apr 11 10:58:19 EDT 2002

Hi Ryan,

since you are interested in both, C and C++ or C and Jave I would recommend
the freely downloadable books from Bruce Eckel (available from
http://www.bruceeckel.com/ ).

They are named 'Thinking in Java' and 'Thinking in C++' and are in my
opinion very readable. Maybe a little under-challenging in the first
chapters (since you already know how to program python) but not boring.

Both books contain a decent introduction into the world of C, that forms the
basement of Java and C++.

They do _not_ contain a full introduction into the C programming language,
though. Basically, concepts that have more convenient (or more safe or more
object-oriented) alternatives in C++ (or Java) are not discusses in detail.

In my opinion, moving from Python 'down' to Java or C++ and then 'down' to C
is probably easier for you since you are used to much higher level
constructs from Python than C provides.

Whether you learn C++ or Java first is a matter of taste, although Java
cares for some things more than C++ will do (without extensions). For
example, Java provides automatic memory allocation and reclamation, while
C++ requires you to care for that.

On the other hand, the Syntax of Java and C++ is _very_ similar. I state if
you 'speak' C++ and Python, Java is basically for free (minus some time
learning the few differences from C++ syntax). So you might also consider
Python->Java->C++->C.

Whatever direction you take, the above mentioned books provide a very good
start into C++ and Java in my opinion.

For language details, you can consider the much-mentioned K&R book for C.
The similar book for C++ is Bjarne Stroustroup's 'The C++ Programming
Language'. At least the latter is not an introductory book, in my opinion.
But nevertheless worth reading (later).

hth
Werner

news:4a7fde99.0204081858.58baabdd at posting.google.com...