linux console graphics

Gerhard Häring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Wed Apr 24 05:56:22 EDT 2002

In article <3CC682A5.3050905 at ifrance.com>, eav wrote:
> I am currently working on a project needing a graphical interface,
> supposed to run quickly on quite modest PC (first pentium generation)
> with linux or a *bsd.
>
> What can Python do form me ? I've been considering projects such as
> pygame - but it seems that SDL can't be run from the console. Am I wrong?
>
> I've read about a GGI wrapper, but it doesn't seem to be maintained...
>
> What do you think ? Do I rather use C and svgalib or GGI ?

My recommendation: Use a light X configuration with a very lightweight Window
Manager (icewm, blackbox, fluxbox, etc.) There are tons of them here:
http://freshmeat.net/browse/56/?topic_id=56

Then use whatever GUI library you want on X.  This will save you a lot of
trouble with poor console graphics libraries.

It's a myth that X is heavyweight - it can be trimmed down a lot. Hey, I can
even run it on my handheld :-)

Gerhard