Trinary operator?

Philip Swartzleonard starx at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 17 14:49:55 EDT 2002

Andrew Dalke || Wed 17 Apr 2002 11:20:15a:

> Philipp Lenssen:
>>can I use something like
>>    verboseGender = (gender == 'm') ? 'male' : 'female'
>>in Python?
>
> No.  Search the archives for "ternary operator" for plenty of
> past discussion.  Google lists 65 posts for comp.lang.python.
>
> Besides, for this specific case you should have some error checking,
> because there are genders other than 'male' and 'female' (eg,
> asexual bacteria and hermaphradite earthworms).
>
>   verboseGenderTable = {
>      "m": "male",
>      "f": "female", <          # Most large eukaryotes
    	"a": "asexual",           # Bacteria, etc
    	"h": "hermaphrodite",     # Earthworms, etc
    	"n": "neuter",            # Robots, AIs
    	"r": "refuse-to-stateist",# The paranoid
    	"u": "unknown"            # We lack information /
    	                          # last seen in dark ally /
                                 # raised by wolves, dosen't know

--
Philip Sw "Starweaver" [rasx] :: www.rubydragon.com