PEP 285 and pickle compatibility

Paul Rubin phr-n2002a at nightsong.com
Fri Apr 5 18:01:32 EST 2002

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:
> I like this.  I'll see if I can implement it.  (Though it's not clear what
> to do in binary mode.)

Just always write bools in 'I' format, even in binary mode.  The unpickler
shouldn't mind, unless I missed something.

> I like this recommendation, but I'm not motivated enough to implement
> it myself.  Maybe you can get some people to work with you on a PEP
> and a sample implementation?

OK.  I'll see if I can code up something, and worry about a PEP afterwards.
I'd like to see it implemented so I can stop using marshal and
its lack of cross-version compatibility to pass long ints around.