OT: Daylight savings time (was Re: Subclass sadness (was Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 285: Adding a bool type))

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Apr 1 01:02:58 EST 2002

John Machin wrote:

> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<3CA73486.72B4059F at engcorp.com>...
> > Richard Jones wrote:
> > >
> > > Hrm, just following this thought here, possibly for no good reason at all
> > > (hey, it's Sunday, and daylight savings just ended so I've got a whole _hour_
> > > extra to waste today :)...
> >
> > In which country?  Good thing it's not a work day, since I took your
> > word for it last night...  or was that another advance April Fools joke?
> >

> "daylight savings just *ended*" (my emphasis) -> try thinking "other
> side of the equator"

Well, that only works if one understands daylight savings time
and knows when it starts and when it ends. :-(  This is one of
those things that I've just never grokked.

My sister (on whom I count for complicated technical information
like this :-)  informs me that here (Canada) we'll be switching
over (don't know if that means starting or ending) _next_
weekend, and we _lose_ an hour.  Bummer...

-Peter