relational database?

Gerhard =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4ring?= gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Tue Apr 2 20:22:24 EST 2002

* M.-A. Lemburg <mal at lemburg.com> [2002-04-02 19:49 +0200]:
> SAP DB is fast, full-featured, open-source and very stable.

Open-source it sure is, but that doesn't mean that mere mortals can
compile it or even port it to not currently supported platforms like
FreeBSD.

> Note that Unicode support in mxODBC is available both as emulation
> (mxODBC does the conversion to e.g.  UTF-8) and using native support
> (the ODBC driver has to support Unicode).

Very interesting. This Unicode stuff isn't specified in a new draft of
the DB-API, is it?

I'm planning to add Unicode (and perhaps non-default 8-bit charset)
support to pyPgSQL. In my first tries, I found that there are really two
different problems:

- getting Unicode strings as parameters of execute into the database,
  like:

  cursor.execute("insert into test(col) values('%s'" % \
  	u"someUnicodeString")

  This doesn't look difficult.

- getting Unicode out of the database: My first idea was to add a flag
  to the connection constructor that indicates wether to returns strings
  as Python strings or Unicode strings. Any better ideas?

Gerhard
--
This sig powered by Python!
Außentemperatur in München: 7.2 °C      Wind: 2.8 m/s