configuring mxCGIPython

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Mon Apr 29 00:52:21 EDT 2002

I finally got cgipython to work.  Since my ISP didn't have libxmlparse.so.1
and libxmltok.so.1, I had to do this:

1.  Use a bash shell script as a wrapper to cgipython.

2.  Upload these files to /bin in my account along with cgipython:

  libxmlparse.so.1
  libxmltok.so.1

This is also where I put my Python modules.

3.  Put a .htaccess file in /bin to prevent web access:

  <Limit GET>
  order deny,allow
  deny from all
  </Limit>

2.  In the shell script, set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PYTHONPATH to /bin.  This
is what the shell script looks like:

  #!/bin/bash
  bin=/home/<username>/bin
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$bin
  export PYTHONPATH=$bin
  PATH=$PATH:.
  $bin/cgipython $bin/my.cgi

I really appreciate being able to use Python instead of having to resort to
Perl for this application.

Mark, thanks for all your help!  I'd be happy to contribute to a
troubleshooting section on deploying cgipython--if you think that would be
useful.

Best,

// mark