Dammit [was: something else, dammit]

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 29 07:53:55 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "James J. Besemer" <jb at cascade-sys.com>
To: "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com>
Cc: <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: Python's Lisp heritage

> Steve Holden wrote:
>
> > Don't quote me out of context, dammit. Just because you didn't detect
the
> > humour didn't mean it wasn't there. And it waas "reeducated", not
> > "reprogrammed to think Pythonically".
>
> (a) Ironically, seriously and truly, you weren't the only person to make a
> remark like that to me last week.  So I wasn't intentionally quoting you
or
> anybody specific.  I was merely paraphrasing my sense of the group
consciousness
> to the best of my recollection. Damn it.

Stop saying damn it, dammit.

> (b) "Just because you didn't detect the humor didn't mean it wasn't
there."
> Frankly, I think the L. Ron Hubbard/reprogramming angle is way funnier
than
> being reeducated by the Khmer Rogue.  Damn it.

Well, each to their own. Dammit.

> (c) You need to lighten up, damn it.  There's a whole vast world out there
> beyond the kingdom of Python.  Damn it.

You've got me laughing at myself, now, dammit.

> > People can also learn to ride bicycles where turning the handlebars to
the
> > left turns the wheel to the right.
> >
> > People can even learn to program in C, dammit.
> >
> > Your problem is you just won't take those damned glasses off again now
> > you've got used to them.
>
> What glasses?  Oh, you mean the example *I* used earlier about how people
can
> adapt to anything?  And how just because people can adapt (e.g., to
Python)
> doesn't mean it is flawless?

What, you mean I don't get to reeducate anyone? Dammit!

> What's your point again?  Damn it.  ;o)

Dammit, I've forgotten.

> I've programmed in many different languages over the decades and even
maintained
> and implemented a few myself.  I think my perspective is at least as broad
and
> objective as anybody here.  Way more so than some I've seen in my short
time
> here.
>
> You seem to be the one who is locked into just one way of viewing the
world.

Perhaps I'm just a leetle bit tired of seeing the same discussions play out
on c.l.py again and again and again. We are all locked in to one way of
viewing the world, we just each have our own way. Dammit.

> > True. But passion is a relative judgement. Programming languages and
> > operating systems stopped being a religious issue for me many years ago,
and
> > so I tend to reserve passion for more appropriate activities.
>
> Geeze you sure fooled me.   ;o)

Well, I guess I should lighten up then, dammit.

> I gotta say, though, if one more ankle biter sycophant quotes the
scriptures
> according to Guido to me, I think I'm gonna puke.
>
> Elsewhere, Steve Holden adds:
>
> > And I can say dugapoopoo too. I'll cut out the cheerleading and
> > defensiveness immediately :-)
>
> I'm not holding my breath.  ;o)

Well OK then, "rah, rah for our side". I never said that. Happy now? Dammit.

refusing-to-take-myself-too-seriously-and-thanks-for-that-dammit-ly y'rs  -
steve
--
Steve Holden: http://www.holdenweb.com/ ; Python Web Programming:
http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/