Unicode name questions

Philip Swartzleonard starx at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 17 06:41:05 EDT 2002

Martin v. Loewis || Wed 17 Apr 2002 01:25:23a:

> Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:
>
>> "Lambda" has been spelled with a "b" as long as I can remember.
>
> I think the Unicode charts use an ASCII transcription of the native
> pronouncation of the letters, if possible. In any case, the Unicode
> names for the characters are "official" in the context of Unicode.
> The Unicode consortium refrains from renaming them. Between Unicode
> 2.0 and Unicode 3.2, no character was renamed.
>
> [Etc Etc Greekness]

Hm. I was browing through some of their code charts for the heck of it,
and I noticed that they listed certain kata/hiragana characters's primary
names as SI, TI, TU, etc. I've listened to a considerable amount of
japanese media, and AFAICT the correct romanization of those sounds would
be SHI, CHI, TSU, etc.

But then they also have some other wierdness, e.g., listing VA, VI, VE, VO
as WA, WI, WE, WO + diacrit, where WI and WE are old, obsolite* characters
as mentioned in my dictonary, and to the best of my knowledge the methods
for doing V sounds are eihter old-style use of B sounds, or new-style use
of A,I,E,O + diacrit. And there's this 'katakana iteration symbol' (and
hira, and voiced of both) that i've never so much as heard of... :\

(*I can't for the life of me find a spelling of this word that i'm sure
of, and I don't have checker or dictionary or time on hand... bed. now.)

--
Philip Sw "Starweaver" [rasx] :: www.rubydragon.com