2.1 vs. 2.2

Gerhard Häring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Sat Apr 13 23:01:50 EDT 2002

* Bengt Richter <bokr at oz.net> [2002-04-14 02:33 +0000]:
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 00:41:37 +0200, Gerhard =?iso-8859-15?Q?H=E4ring?= <gerhard at bigfoot.de> wrote:
>
> >* Jens Baader <nospam at nospam.com> [2002-04-13 23:46 +0200]:
> >                      ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >If you don't have permission of the nospam.com domain owner to use their
> >domain, you should stop abusing their services *now*. If you don't want
> >to get spam, I'd recommend you get a throwaway email address at a
> >freemailer.
> >
> I agree, but OTOH you'd think the IETF would come up with a standard
> global /dev/null sort of address for this purpose. Is there such a thing?
> I.e., why burden freemailers with garbage storage, and the net with the traffic?

That's already been done:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt

<quote>
    To safely satisfy these needs, four domain names are reserved as
    listed and described below.

    .test
    .example
    .invalid
    .localhost

    ".test" is recommended for use in testing of current or new DNS
    related code.

    ".example" is recommended for use in documentation or as examples.

    ".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain
    names that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a
    glance are invalid.
</quote>

So if you really *never* want to receive email replies from usenet
posts, you should construct a fake email address and add .invalid at the
end.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930