ACCEPTED: PEP 285

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.com
Fri Apr 5 23:08:06 EST 2002

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> You could have typed the code in to Python 2.2 and gotten
> your answer.

Therein lies the problem: I typed it into Python 2.1 and naturally it
didn't work. I loaded 2.1 onto my laptop mid-year last year to be "up to
date" and I see that less than a year later my version is out of date. (By
comparison, my Linux machine still has 1.5.2 so I can do version checks.)

Seriously Guido, how often will I need to check back to www.python.org to
keep up with the changes you are making? Do you have a schedule or some
constraints in place on how fast you are releasing major versions?

If you could please please please slow your major release rate down, and
make that an "official" policy I would reconsider my departure from
Pythondom. It would be nice to see major releases at a _minimum_ of 18 to
24 months apart. And frankly I would think the law of diminishing returns
has to kick in at some point; even if you disregard my request I would
think it would become progressively more difficult for you to justify new
releases all that often. When I see that happening (maybe in a few years?)
then I would consider rejoining the ranks of Python programmers.