Readline/command history w/ interactive prompt

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Apr 18 11:32:40 EDT 2002

    >> Try hitting control-r and typing a short string that last appeared in
    >> the line desired ("my" or even "m" would work in this case).

    Andy> _Nice_!  Thanks for that.  One question though: where's this
    Andy> feature documented?  :-)

Well, assuming you use Emacs, your fingers already know about it without any
interference from your brain. :-)

More seriously, try executing "info readline".  There is a subsection
entitled "Readline Interaction" under the heading "Command Line Editing".
If you're not an Emacs person you can choose select vi-style key bindings.

Of course, if you're a Word person the arrow keys also work...

Skip