True/False story... (PEP 285)

Boris Borcic borcis at geneva-link.ch
Thu Apr 11 04:30:06 EDT 2002

Petr Prikryl wrote:

> Boris wrote...
>
>>Could be argued that there is no single natural mapping,
>>for an alternate to the current one we could have
>>
>>True     == 1
>>False    == -1
>>not x    == -x
>>x and y  == min(x,y)
>>x or y   == max(x,y)
>>x xor y  == -x*y
>>
>>A nice feature of that one (to my aesthetics), is that
>>
>>1j == sqrt(False)
>>

> This alternate mapping breaks everything that exists now

It breaks nothing since it's not a PEP; and clearly it is natural enough
not to break *everything* if it were and was adopted.

> and does not introduce anything better than the existing state.

A very boolean declaration, that :) In any case, look at context :
nobody proposed it should take over the state.

Blind spots tax any vision. Many argued that enums were better than
booleans; and cyclotomic fields are algebra's version of enums. Some
mathematician wrote that a good representation is equivalent to a good
teacher. Means it has to be inspiring.

Regards, Boris Borcic
--
python >>> filter(lambda W : W not in "ILLITERATE","BULLSHIT")