Booleans, integer division, backwards compatibility; where is Python going?

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Mon Apr 8 06:31:59 EDT 2002

On 6 Apr 2002, Paul Rubin wrote:

> Andrew MacIntyre <andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au> writes:

{...}

> > There are OS vendors who choose to imposing grossly out-of-date releases
> > of 3rd party software on customers for their own selfish reasons.
>
> Are you talking about Red Hat?  If a Python release as recent as 1.5.2
> is already "grossly out-of-date", that confirms what I'm saying about
> releases happening too fast.  The idea of stability and maturity is that
> releases don't become grossly out of date anywhere near that quickly.

In actual fact Sendmail was the example I had principally in mind.

RH could have managed the python issue much more gracefully than they
chose to, as Python offers the facility to support multiple releases
in parallel.  That they still consider (and apparently have no plans to
reconsider for some time) a nearly 3 year old release as the "standard"
goes a bit further than I thought even you were arguing for.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia