GUI programming

Charl P. Botha cpbotha at crabtree.cpbotha.net
Tue Apr 2 05:37:45 EST 2002

In article <slrnaaivjc.565.zeitlin at seth.lpthe.jussieu.fr>,
Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 19:04:16 GMT, Charl P. Botha <cpbotha at i_triple_e.org> wrote:
>> Try getting a running wxPython installation on SGI Irix or SUN Solaris for
>> instance.
>
>  And just what exactly is the problem with it? I don't have access to SGI but
> it did build without any problems on a Solaris box here. If you have
> encountered any problems, have you reported them to us (wxWindows developers)
> as bugs? I'm sorry to say this, but you have to consider spending some of your
> time on writing (useful) bug reports - without the users help there is
> absolutely no chance that wxPython or wxGTK builds out of the box on the
> platforms we don't have access to. It's amazing by how much the number of
> complains about the difficulties of building wxGTK exceeds the number of the
> bug reports (of which there are maybe 1 or 2 right now).

Please read the whole thread before replying.  Also try to reply with less
accusatory language.  I did NOT say that wxWindows doesn't build on these
architectures.  To clarify, and I've said this previously in this thread, I
have the highest regard for wxWindows and wxPython.

What I DID say was that getting a working wxPython installation on one of
those boxes can take quite a while.  One has to get GTK and all the packages
it depends on and configure and build all of these.  Then one has to
configure and build wxGTK and wxPython... all of this can take some time.

I'm not complaining about this.  I was mentioning it to illustrate that on
average, Tkinter is still the fastest to get up and running on all platforms
and that that was part of the reason that it was the default GUI of Python.

I hope this was clear enough,