Booleans, integer division, backwards compatibility; where is Python going?

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Sat Apr 6 20:17:55 EST 2002

On 5 Apr 2002, Paul Rubin wrote:

> Stable, mature software should be able to run for that long without
> needing to be upgraded.  I find just can't expect that from Python.

You appear to be saying that Python incorporates expiry logic, which
causes a particular version to cease functioning correctly after some
specified time.

This of course is complete BS.  Likewise your whole argument is complete
BS in the face of moves by a certain company towards subscription software
with mandated upgrade schedules.

There are OS vendors who choose to imposing grossly out-of-date releases
of 3rd party software on customers for their own selfish reasons.  I
suppose you laud them too, in the face of serious security weaknesses and
the absence of real functionality gains.

At least with OSS, you can preserve your personal "blessed" release longer
than anyone else would consider sane.  Not only that, you can distribute
it with any software you wish to supply someone else, so that you can
avoid having to deal with the compatibility issues.

You've said your piece to the point of being a broken record, and been
informed that your POV is not accepted.  Please swallow future such
utterances so that the positive contributions you've made to this
community don't get lumped into irrelevence along with your whinging.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia