Numeric question

Cameron Hooper cameron at hooper.net
Sun Apr 28 22:00:19 EDT 2002

Chris Barker wrote:

> Emile van Sebille wrote:
>
>> OK.  It's x.  So let's build a contiguous x and try it again:

> or
>
> x = inputs[0][:].copy()
>
> The copy method isn't in the version of the docs I have, but it's very
> handy and quite clear as to what it is doing.
>
> or
>
> x = inputs[0,:].copy()
>
> Numpy arrays are N-dimensional, you might as well index them that way.
>
> come to think of it, why not:
>
> inputs[0].copy() ?
>

> -Chris

Thanks for the replies. So my understanding now is that the concatenate
function really combines two references to two separate locations in memory
into a single object. The two locations are not contiguous. Data is not
'moved around' so to speak. So x = concatenate(y,z) can be viewed as
returning a reference to two non-contiguous references.  But x =
array(concatenate(y,z)) (or using copy()) actually copies data.

Cameron