pre-PEP for optional 'pass'

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Mon Apr 15 19:52:14 EDT 2002

[phil hunt]
> I wish to make the pass statement optional. That is, in any Python
> program where there is a pass it can be left out and the meaning of
> the program is unchanged.
[...]
> Thoughts?

I imagine you'll need to provide working code that demonstrates what's
required to accomplish this proposed PEP--or at least some analysis of the
scope of the work and the potential for breakage.  It would be really
interesting to see you post something about that.

Having never really delved into the C source code for Python itself, I have
no real sense of the scope of the change you're proposing.  Would existing
code break?  Is there code out there that depends on the presence of pass?
PyChecker, for example?

This may be one of those things that is tremendously easier said than done.

For what it's worth, I personally don't mind having to specify pass.

Cheers,

// mark