2.1 stable and 2.2 dev ?

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Apr 12 11:33:27 EDT 2002

Gustavo Niemeyer <niemeyer at conectiva.com> writes:

> > I would like to know if the version 2.1.x is the stable version and the
> > 2.2.x the dev version ? If it's like that, it's oposite of linux version
> > where odd number are for dev...
>
> Right now, there's no such concept. 2.2.X *and* 2.1.X are stable
> releases, while (e.g.) 2.2.1aX (alpha), 2.2.1bX (beta), and 2.2.1cX
> (release candidate) were development.

More importantly, the "current" development source code is in CVS, and
carries no number (at the moment, it identifies itself as 2.3a0, but
that does not name a specific release). For Linux, Linus *releases*
development versions; a similar thing does not exist for Python
(releases are ongoing, through CVS).

Regards,
Martin