Third Draft: Pep for Deprecating Builtins

Boris Borcic borcis at geneva-link.ch
Tue Apr 30 04:33:03 EDT 2002

Alex Martelli wrote:

> I'm surprised you miss the main advantage -- 0666, the Number
> of the Beast in octal, translates to decimal 438, the A.D. in which
> Emperor Theodosius II promulgated the Theodosian Code,

Very neat, but...

Surely you are aware that 666 refers to president Bush' notion that
"whoever isn't with us is against us" - since the excluded middle is
written excluded "third" in most reasonable languages, including latin,
e.g. "tertium non datur", and 1 - 1/3 = 0.666... ?

OTOH, the aversion for the excluded middle implied by this (quite
natural) interpretation of the 666 should as well apply to mutual
exclusion *of interpretations in general*, and of interpretations of the
666 in particular (ambiguity is abusively maligned, if one believes in
Goedel's theorem).

Now the chapter of the Rev. that ends with 666 is inviting the naive
reader to assume the number can't refer to himself, while calling for
wisdom and intelligence... so I found the following way to associate it
with my initials.

Let B = 666
     K = 4.66920... Feigenbaum's delta constant

Thus K**K = B + 1 + B

Cheers, Boris J. Borcic
--
python >>> filter(lambda W : W not in "ILLITERATE","BULLSHIT")