python2.2

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Mon Apr 29 15:45:04 EDT 2002

The testing version is woody.  So change "stable" to "woody" in
your sources.list.  (Perhaps you could instead change "stable" to
"testing", but I'm not sure about that one.)

Not to distract you, but ... If you have gcc on your system,
downloading, building, and installing the source is very straight
forward.  Just:

  1. Down load the source from www.python.org.
  2. Unroll it with something like "tar xvzf ..."
  3. Then do:

    ./configure
    make
    make install     # as root

This is what I do on my Debian system.  Takes a few minutes, but
it's painless and works great.  The README file will lead you
through it.

And, now you can get the latest Python sources (2.2.1).

  - Dave

Billy Ng wrote:

> This is my source.list, would you please tell me how to change
> this file to allow me to install the testing packages?
>
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
> deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
>
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
> deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
>
> Thanks!
>
> Billy Ng