Rule Engine in Python

Robert Oschler Oschler at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 5 22:58:13 EST 2002

Harry George <hgg9140 at seanet.com> wrote in message
news:m3zo0hiqaa.fsf at wilma.localdomain...

> Yes, at least for our context.  Out of perhaps 100 prolog modules,
> only 1 or 2 really have declarative rules which take advantage of
> backtracking.  The others are procedural (usually enforced with cuts).
> For that python is a better choice.  Either way, the heavy lifting for
> 3D graphics is in the underlying C/C++/OpenGL libraries.  Prolog/Pyton
> are there to add intelligence.

Ok, got it now.  Having once made a largely procedural email application
many years ago in Prolog, I know that kind of shoehorning to be very
painful.  What I couldn't understand was the possibility that Python is
better at rule creation/maintenance/processing than Prolog. IMHO, that is
precisely what Prolog excels at compared to other languages, along with
self-manipulation of code as data, expression parsing, and limited
constraint solving.

thx