rlcompleter not calling __getattr__ on [ ]

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Mon Apr 22 23:39:16 EDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 04:49:56PM -0600, Fernando P?rez wrote:
> holger krekel wrote:
>
> > or maybe even r"(\S+(\.\w+)*)\.(\w*)" ? This would principally
> > allow to add
> >
> > "".<tab>
> >
> > to work as expected. Of course you need to remove " and '
> > from the delimiter list.
> >
> > But then again, i wonder if the rlcompleter should not simply
> > see the *whole* string and do the string-split according to delimiters
> > itself? This might be more flexible for 'general purpose' completion.
> > I consider the delimiters to be a rlcompleter property and
> > not a readline property.
>
> Well, your new regexp suggestion works great for me. You may want to repost
> this to python-dev or as a patch to SF, so that the powers-that-be have a say
> on the issue. For the time being, I'm using your regexp in my patched version
> of rlcompleter ...

great. but i guess we should try to come up with a solution that
allows

  a=[[].<tab>

and similar cases to work. Also

  a=().<tab>

should be allowed, too. I'll check that tommorow. Additionally
i want to see if it is possible to

a) (optionally) just return method names which don't start with '__'

b) return to 'readline' strings of the form:

   COMPLETION "docstring"

   as this would show you brief documentation for each method.

i am probably looking into that tommorow.
Right now i am writing some long awaited dynamic
'hall of fame' webpages for nethack :-)

	holger